Escalivada (Catalan roasted eggplant and pepper salad)
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
This seems so ridiculously simple but is flavour-packed and one of my favourite tapas.
- Heat the oven to 200C and rub the peppers and eggplant all over with oil.
- Place the peppers on one ovenproof tray and the eggplant on another. Place in the oven until the peppers are blistered and browned all over and the eggplant is soft but not collapsing.
- Place the capsicums in a heatproof bowl and cover. Reserve for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Carefully peel the skins off the capsicums and scrape the seeds out with a small knife. Save the juices. Slice into thin strips. Do not wash the skins off as this will wash away the flavour.
- Halve the eggplant and peel. Slice the flesh into strips.
- Arrange the slices of peppers and eggplant on a flat serving dish in alternating red and yellow stripes. Sprinkle the capsicum juices, the extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and garlic on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with a few parsley leaves.
More from Ray's Christmas Eve tapas dinner