The ultimate pumpkin pie
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
Pumpkin pie is often served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, which fall during the harvest season in the US and Canada. If you've never made pumpkin pie before, I warn you it's addictively good. This keeps for a few days in the fridge.
For the pie
|1 kg||Pumpkin, skin on, halved and deseeded|
|250 g||Sour cream|
|½ cup||Soft brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Treacle, or golden syrup|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1||Orange, finely grated zest only|
|1 small handful||Pecan / Walnuts, to serve|
|1 serving||Creme fraiche, or whipped cream, to serve|
For the ginger crust
- Preheat oven to 180C fanbake.
- Grease the sides of a 25cm-diameter, high-sided, loose-bottomed pie tin and line the base with baking paper. (If you only have a shallow flan tin, make half the amount of filling mixture.)
- Arrange pumpkin cut-side down on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Bake until it is easily pierced with a fork (40-50 minutes). Remove from oven and increase temperature to 200C.
- Meanwhile, to make the ginger crust, finely crumb biscuits and mix in ginger and butter evenly. Press over the base of the pie tin and 4cm up the side. Chill.
- Scrape pumpkin flesh into a bowl or food processor and puree - you should have about 3½ cups. Add sour cream, brown sugar, treacle or golden syrup, eggs, spices, zest and salt to the puree and blend until smooth. Pour into the chilled crust and smooth the top.
- Bake until filling is set (35-40 minutes). Allow the pie to cool before serving at room temperature garnished with maple-glazed nuts and cinnamon honey creme fraiche. Leftover pie will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
More thanksgiving recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips. It makes a great Christmas gift and it’s on sale now at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores. Find out more at annabel-langbein.com or follow Annabel on Facebook or Instagram.