Cazuela de fideos
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
This is a dish from Catalonia and is a seafood and vegetable stew with thin noodles, cooked a little like paella but using pasta instead of rice.
I used Italian whole wheat filini pasta from Sabato in Auckland but any very thin spaghetti-like pasta, broken into 2-3cm lengths, will work. In Spain they cook the dish until quite dry but I like it with a bit more broth.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over moderate heat and add the onions, carrot, garlic, celery and lemon zest. Fry gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the mussels, tomatoes and stock and boil gently to let the mussels open. Remove the mussels as they open and reserve.
- Add the noodles and bring to the boil. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Shell the mussels, pull out the brown tongues and their white roots and add the mussels to the noodle mix with the fish, prawns and peas.
- Mix gently and simmer 5 minutes or until the seafood is cooked and the noodles very tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing if desired.
More Mediterranean recipes from Ray