Lamb braised in beer with fennel, tomatoes and oregano
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole. Add the shanks and brown on all sides then remove. Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Remove the core from each fennel bulb and then slice. Slice the onion and add to the casserole with the fennel, garlic, carrot, celery, bay and chilli.
- Return the lamb to the casserole, then add the tomatoes, beer and water. Season, cover and let cook for two hours.
- Uncover, add more water if necessary then continue to cook for another hour.
- Scatter over chopped parsley or fresh oregano before serving with rice, couscous or mash.