Mango and cardamom sunset smoothie bowl
( SERVES 1 )
Photo by Tam West
This smoothie bowl is incredibly easy to whip up. Mangoes give it that sweet tropical flavour, as well as a good dose of natural antioxidants, fibre and vitamins like A, B, C and K. I often share this bowl with my daughter after preschool as an afternoon wholefoods treat, or even as a dessert.
The combination of mango and cardamom always remind me of kulfi (a frozen Indian dessert). It’s a wonderful pairing of flavours that is especially delicious in frozen desserts. If you don’t have cardamom you can leave it out, it will still be incredibly tasty. If you can’t get fresh mangoes to freeze yourself, it is relatively easy to buy chopped frozen mango. Oob Organic have just added frozen organic mango to their range, and it’s incredibly sweet and delicious.
For the smoothie bowl
For the toppings
- Place all smoothie bowl ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (you may need to stop and push the ingredients back down to the blade a few times to get this to work without adding extra liquid).
- Place in a small bowl and top with the sliced fruit, coconut yoghurt and coconut chips. Lastly, mix the passionfruit pulp with a little coconut nectar or other liquid sweetener (if using) and drizzle over top.
Smoothie bowl tips
- Try to avoid adding a lot of liquid to a smoothie bowl or it will turn into a smoothie.
- Use frozen fruit to create a thick, sorbet-like texture
- Make your own coconut milk using my easy homemade coconut milk recipe.