Za’atar meatballs with fig, onion and pinenut jam and grilled radicchio and cos
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
The jam is my version of one they served with chicken at Luminae restaurant on a cruise I took aboard Celebrity Reflection. It is good with grilled or barbecued pork, chicken, steak, roast eggplant or potatoes, or with cheese.
For the jam
|3 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|180 g||Dried Turkish figs, stalks removed, figs sliced|
|2||Onions, thinly sliced|
|1||Lemon, zest only|
|2||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|¾ cup||Pine nuts, roasted|
For the lamb
To make the jam
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over moderate heat and add the figs, onions, zest and garlic. Fry gently without browning for 20 minutes or until the figs and onions are soft.
- Turn up the heat and add the sugar and vinegar. Let the sugar melt and the vinegar bubble and evaporate.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Just before serving, mix in the pinenuts.
To make the lamb
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Place the mince, garlic, bread and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well.
- Form into 16 small slightly flattened meatballs and place side by side on a plate.
- Mix the thyme, sumac and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Roll each meatball in the sesame seed mix.
- Heat 4 Tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs gently on each side until browned. Place side by side on an ovenproof tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Brush the cut sides of the radicchio and cos and pan-fry on that side until they are well browned and starting to wilt.
- Season, drizzle a little more extra virgin olive oil over them and serve with the meatballs, lemon wedges and jam.
More of Ray's cruise ship recreations