Spiced lamb cutlets and garlicky mushrooms
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
There is something quite moreish about the flavour of chargrilled lamb cutlets. It’s that wonderful combination of sweet lamb and a layer of smoky caramelised natural fat. If you bring your lamb out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking it will give it a much better texture and flavour.
- Slice each lamb rack into 4 even cutlets. Mix together paprika, cumin, pepper and salt — use this to season cutlets on both sides. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush a little oil on both sides.
- Use a small knife to carefully remove the stalk from the field mushrooms. Place three slices of garlic in the centre of the upturned mushroom. Sprinkle over fresh thyme stalks, then drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place mushrooms cap-side down on the barbecue hotplate. Cook on medium for 8-10 minutes or until slightly wilted.
- Cook lamb cutlets on a medium heat on grill bars for 3-4 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or to your liking. Take off the heat and cover in a warm spot to rest for 4 minutes.
- Serve garlicky mushrooms with rested cutlets on top.
More barbecue recipes from Geoff