Pork sausages with roasted carrots and lentils
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This is like a warm lentil salad with roasted carrots and fried sausages, a combination of the sort of flavours and simple components I like. I used L’Authentique Pork and Fennel sausages as they are chemical-free and taste great but any good pork sausage will work for this.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a large shallow oven tray with baking paper.
- Put the carrots on the paper-lined tray and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt, mix well and spread out so the carrot pieces are side by side. Place in the oven and roast 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and browned.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the lentils. Boil gently for 20 minutes or until the lentils are completely tender (taste to be sure). Drain well, place in a heatproof bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the oil. Mix well and add the onion, parsley, lemon zest and juice and garlic. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and gently fry the sausages until cooked.
- Serve the carrots and sausages on the warm lentil mix with the mustard on the side.
More affordable pork recipes from Ray