Easy beef braise
How do beef and onions become such melt-in-your-mouth magnificence? A long, slow cook in Campbell’s 100% natural beef stock which is made from scratch – just how we like it.
- Heat the oven to 150C.
- Heat the butter and oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Toss the diced beef in flour, salt and pepper. And fry in the casserole dish until brown on all sides (this might need to be done in batches). Remove to the side.
- Add the onions to the casserole dish and fry a couple of minutes to brown (adding a little more butter and oil if necessary).
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Add the stock, stirring to bring everything together, and to pick up the brownings from the base of the casserole. Bring to the boil, cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 2 ½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of lemon zest and chopped parsley.