Pistachio-crusted lamb loin with beetroot confit
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
Lamb loins are a real treat - sweet, tender and not a skerrick of fat. They make a light and stylish main course for a romantic dinner for two. Take care not to overcook them, as they are nicest slightly rare. This whole dish can be prepared ahead of time ready for a quick flash in the oven. It's great served with boiled new potatoes and a crisp green salad. Keep the leftover beetroot confit in the fridge for sandwiches.
For the lamb loin
|300 g||Lamb loins, use up to 350g as desired|
|2 Tbsp||Pistachios, very finely chopped|
|½||Lemon, finely grated zest only|
|120 g||Spinach, fresh, tough stalks removed|
|1 splash||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tsp||Boutique extra virgin olive oil|
For the beetroot confit
- To make the confit, peel and grate the beetroot and place in a pot with all other ingredients. Cover and simmer until tender, then remove the lid and cook until the liquids have evaporated (12-15 minutes total). Lift out and discard bay leaves and mint. Serve at room temperature. Beetroot confit keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge and any leftovers are good cold in sandwiches or with cold meat.
- To make the lamb crust, mix pistachios and lemon zest with a little salt and pepper on a chopping board. Lightly whisk the egg white in a shallow dish. Coat the lamb fillets in the egg white, shaking off any excess, then roll them in the pistachio mixture to coat. Place the lamb on a roasting dish lined with baking paper for easy clean-up. It can be prepared ahead to this point, stored in the fridge for up to 8 hours and brought back to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- To cook the lamb, preheat the oven to 240C fanbake. When the oven is super-hot, roast lamb until cooked to your liking (about 8 minutes for medium-rare). Remove from the oven, cover and rest for 5-10 minutes. Just before serving, place washed spinach into a pan with a splash of olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Cover and cook until wilted (about 1 minute).
- Divide wilted spinach between 2 heated plates and top each plate with a mound of beetroot confit. Angle-slice lamb loin thinly and divide between plates. Drizzle 1 tsp of boutique extra-virgin olive oil around each plate and serve.
More dinner-for-two recipes from Annabel
• For more great Annabel Langbein recipes see her summer annual A Free Range Life: Celebrate Summer! (Annabel Langbein Media, $24.95) or visit annabel-langbein.com.