These are yeast-free and very quick and easy. Serve them at a barbecue instead of buying bread (they can be cooked on the hot plate) or with pulled pork or beans and slaw. They also work as a substitute for tortillas in tacos, or roti for curry.
- Place flour and oil in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add the boiling water and, using a fork, stir constantly. Stop adding the water once the dough has bound into a ball.
- Dust flour on your bench and turn the ball out. Knead the dough for a good 6-8 minutes.
- Divide dough into small balls (about 12 should be about right) and roll out into circles using a rolling pin (or a wine bottle).
- Heat a frying pan (preferably cast iron) to a medium-low heat, and cook each flatbread for about a minute each side.
- Serve immediately.
More useful staple food from Delaney