London Pride, Apple, Mushroom, Yam and Parsnip Hotpot
( SERVES 6 )
This is a delicious comforting hotpot and is especially scrummy served up with buttery mash potato!
|6||London Pride sausages|
|4 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|1||White onion, medium dice|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely diced|
|250 g||Swiss brown mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced|
|1||Parsnip, peeled and cut into thin short strips|
|8||Yams, sliced into thin rounds|
|2||Apples, peeled, deseeded and sliced into crescents|
|4 sprigs||Fresh thyme|
|½ cup||Plain flour|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock, low salt and heated|
|6 scoops||Mashed potato, 1 quantity of mash per person|
|1 sprinkle||Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste|
|1 small handful||Fresh italian parsley, chopped|
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- In a large casserole pot over medium heat add 2 tbsp of oil and the London pride sausages. Gently fry till they are browned off but not cooked through, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add into the pot the other 2 tbsp of oil and 25g of butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Now add the mushrooms, parsnips, yams, apples, bay leaves, thyme and season well. Cook for 10 mins then remove from the pot into a bowl and set aside.
- Into the same casserole pot add the remaining 50g butter and allow it to melt over medium heat. Add the flour and ‘cook out’ the mixture for 2 mins stirring continuously to stop it browning. Add a cup of hot chicken stock at a time. Stir the mixture vigorously between each cup so that it comes together to form a smooth paste before you add another cup of stock. Continue and eventually add all remaining stock and bring up to the boil for several minutes.
- Carefully add the vegetable mix and sausages back into the pot. Add the lemon zest and check the seasoning. Pop the lid on and place into the oven for 25 mins. Add the peas and pop back in the oven for a final 5 mins.
- Serve straight from the pot with a side of freshly chopped Italian parsley and a huge mound of buttery mash potato!