Pine nut, curd and almond tartlets
( MAKES 30 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Pine nuts have a unique flavour unlike any other nut, and make the perfect topping for these dainty almond tarts. Wrap in small bags or in a pretty box — and then put some aside in a tin for yourself. I like to serve them with a little glass of delicious limoncello or coffee.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Into a kitchen processor place the flour, butter and icing sugar. Blend until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and blitz until the dough sticks together. If need be, add a tablespoon of cold water.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured bench. Roll, then cut circles to fit mini muffin tins. Set aside.
- For the filling, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg and almond essence and beat again. Stir through the flour and ground almonds.
- Into the base of each tart case place the pastry and a small dollop of lemon curd. Fill the tart almost to the top with the almond mixture then sprinkle over a few pine nuts. Place the tarts into the oven for 20 minutes until the middle is just set. Remove and let them sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove.
- Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
More home-made gifts from Angela