Chorizo and pea risotto
( SERVES 4 )
In so many countries, rice is an important staple of people's diets. It is a simple ingredient but relied on by millions. This week we thought we would share some of our favourite ways to enjoy this versatile grain. Making risotto is not something we grew up doing but we order it all the time when we dine out. We now find ourselves making risotto very often at home, the trick is to make sure it isn't too stiff and has a beautiful lava-like flow when you spoon it on to your serving dish.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat and fry chorizo for 3 mins until the oils start to come out of the sausage.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Reduce heat and pan fry onion, for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and fry slowly, for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock, one cup at a time, stirring after every addition until the water is completely absorbed before adding another cup. Continue adding stock and stirring until rice is tender (approximately 25-30 minutes).
- Stir in sausage and peas with the last cup of stock.
- To serve, stir in parmesan to taste.
More rice recipes from Kasey and Karena