( SERVES 4 )
Spinach was supposedly the favourite vegetable of Catherine de' Medici. Dishes served on a bed of spinach are known as ‘Florentine’, reflecting Catherine's birthplace, Florence.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wash the spinach, then steam in a saucepan or the microwave, until wilted. Cool a little then squeeze dry. Spread in a 19cm x 21cm baking in a baking dish. Season.
- Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise. Season then dust with the flour, basil and oregano.
- Pan-fry in a little of the oil until browned on all sides. Place evenly over the spinach.
- Sauté the shallot and garlic in the remaining oil in the same frying pan. Add the wine and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add the cream and boil until reduced by half. Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and bake for about 20 minutes, until cooked.
More Italian recipes from Jan