Caramelized red onion tarts
( SERVES 6 )
1. Combine flour with salt in large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is size of small peas. Stir in just enough cold water to form a dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C.
3. Grease 4 (11cm) individual tart pans or a larger pan. Divide dough into 4 portions and press onto bottom and up sides of prepared pans. Line with aluminium foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dry beans partially up sides. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
4. Heat olive oil in large skillet and cook onion over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in Maille Balsamic Vinegar; set aside.
5. Beat cheeses with egg, then stir in bacon. Fill baked tarts with egg mixture, then top with onion mixture.
6. Bake until knife inserted in centres comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
*Don’t have individual tart pans? You can use a larger tart pan instead.
Find more delicious recipes from Maille here.