Cauliflower with warm spices and egg
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This a modern take on the classic cauliflower garnish, cauliflower polonaise. I also like to toss through baby spinach or baby silverbeet leaves while the cauliflower is still warm, about 1 handful per person. Shredded ruby chard is great too and can be wilted first, if you prefer.
|1||Shallot, peeled and finely chopped|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|2 Tbsp||Cider vinegar|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a char-grill over a medium-high heat.
- Cut the cauliflower into thick slices and allow it to fall into florets, or help it along the way by cutting florets with a small knife.
- Steam the cauliflower until just tender. A little bite is good here. Combine the spices and sprinkle over the steamed cauliflower with a dash of olive oil, rubbing spices in with your clean hands.
- In batches, place on the grill and grill until lightly charred, placing in a large bowl as you go. Pour over the dressing, while cauliflower is still warm.
- Cut the hardboiled eggs in half and remove the yolks. Shred the egg whites and add to the cauliflower. Gently mix through and place in a serving bowl.
- Press egg yolks through a coarse sieve straight on to the top of the cauliflower. Sprinkle over the parsley.
More autumn vegetable sides from Kathy