Christmas bombe and strawberry martini
( SERVES 6 )
You can’t celebrate Christmas, certainly not in our household, without fruit mince pies and strawberries making some sort of appearance. This is my Christmas take on a bombe alaska finished off with an indulgent strawberry martini sauce.
- Mix icecream and mince pies together then fill into 6 small coffee cups and freeze.
- When completely set hard, loosen with a small knife then tip out on to sponge disc bases. Store on baking paper in the freezer.
- Whisk egg whites in an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, then gradually add in the sugar, whisking continuously until stiff and shiny (4-5 minutes). Fold in cornflour and vinegar.
- Cover each bombe with the meringue, using a small knife or the back of a teaspoon and return to the freezer.
- Cut strawberries into small even dice — you will need about ⅔ of a cup. Place the remaining strawberry trimmings into a saucepan with an additional ⅔ cup of sugar and ⅔ cup of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain through a fine sieve. Keep a little strawberry sauce alcohol-free on the side for those who don’t like alcohol and mix the gin and vermouth in to the rest.
- Arrange diced strawberries in a circle on each plate.
- Place a bombe in the centre then toast all over with a kitchen blowtorch. Pour strawberry martini sauce all around.
See the rest of Geoff's 3 course menu