Char-grilled asparagus and mushrooms on toast
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
Spring is the season to crank up the barbie, and asparagus loves a little smoke and fire with the chargrill drawing out all the sweetness. This is a brunch fit for any king.
- Snap or cut the bottom 5 cm off the spears then wash in cold water and dry on paper towels. Slice spears in half, toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt.
- Cook under the grill or on a hot barbecue.
- In a large fry pan heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter with garlic until it begins to foam.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, add Worcestershire sauce then season with salt and pepper.
- Place buttered toasted sourdough onto hot plates, top with asparagus and mushrooms then scatter over parsley.
See more of Geoff's asparagus recipes