Fresh cream fairy cupcakes
( MAKES 6 large or 12 smaller cakes )
Photo by Tam West
|150 g||Unsalted butter, softened|
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla paste, or use seeds from ½ vanilla bean|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|200 g||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|⅓ cup||Milk, warmed, you may need up to ½ cup|
|½ tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
|1 Tbsp||White balsamic vinegar, or 2 Tbsp to taste, you may also use regular balsamic|
|1 sprinkle||Icing sugar, to dust cakes|
|1 drizzle||Compote, or jelly to top cupcakes|
- Heat oven to 180C. Cream butter with caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating fully after each. Add vanilla bean paste and fold in lemon zest and juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter in stages, folding in gently as you go. Add ⅓ cup of warm milk, more if required, to create a batter with a nice drop consistency.
- Line large or medium-sized muffin pans with appropriate sized cupcake liners. Spoon in mixture to ¾ fill the liners. Bake for 20 minutes or more (depending on size) until they have risen and a cake skewer comes out clean. Cool.
- To assemble, cut the top off the cupcakes and cut the tops in half to make wings. Whip cream with vanilla extract. Fold in balsamic vinegar, according to taste. Spoon or pipe cream on to cupcakes, add the wings, and dust with icing sugar. Add a dollop of compote or jelly to serve.
More special icings for Warren's vanilla cupcakes