Kokako's Thai coconut tofu curry with pawpaw
( SERVES 4 )
This Kokako Cafe recipe makes an amazing light dinner option for a balmy evening. The warm curried tofu is complemented by a crisp salad and a surprising punch of lime. Delicious.
|1 knob||Fresh ginger|
|1 stalk||Lemongrass, bashed and diced|
|¼ cup||Canola oil|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|2 cups||Coconut milk|
|2 Tbsp||Canola oil|
|2 Tbsp||Coconut sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Tamari sauce|
|1 serving||Fresh lime juice|
|1 serving||Lemongrass, preserved|
|3 cups||Firm tofu, I use Tonzu tofu available from most good supermarkets|
To make the curry paste
- Peel the shallots, ginger, and garlic.
- Cut and discard the top third of the stick of lemongrass
- Bash the remaining lemongrass with a rolling pin and remove the outside 2 layers.
- Dice as fine as possible
- Dice the remaining vegetables into approx 1cm cubes and place all ingredients into a food processer.
- Blend until a fine paste.
To make the curry sauce
- Heat oil in a large pan until smoking hot.
- Add the curry paste and fry for 5mins; or until the paste has coloured lightly and when you smell the paste the chilli tickles your nostrils.
- Add the coconut sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes, allowing the sugar to caramelise slightly.
- Quickly add the coconut milk, tamari sauce and bruised lemongrass.
- Bring to the boil. Once boiled remove from the heat and add the juice of 2 limes.
- Add tofu into the hot sauce crushing it through your fingers as you go.
Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl
Ladle curry tofu into 4 bowls and serve with the crisp salad and a wedge of fresh lime on top.
Get more info on Kokako here, or drop by their vegetarian cafe at 537 Great North Road, Grey Lynn. To make sure you're on the list for more recipes, sign up to our newsletter. We're also on Facebook and Twitter.