( MAKES 12 cups )
|3 cups||Cauliflower, cut into tiny florets|
|1 cup||Green beans, sliced|
|1 medium||Cucumber, green-skinned|
|250 g||Onions, pickling sized|
|5 cups||White vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Mustard powder|
|1 Tbsp||Grated ginger|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|2 small||Red chillies, chopped|
|¼ cup||Flour, or cornflour|
|¼ cup||White vinegar|
- Place the cauliflorets and beans in a large ceramic or glass bowl. Dice the carrots, tomatoes, celery and cucumber. Quarter the onions. Combine them with the cauliflorets and beans and sprinkle with the salt.
- Stand overnight. Next day, rinse the vegetables under cold water. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, spices, garlic and chillies in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the vegetables and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are just tender — about 20 minutes.
- Mix the flour and the extra vinegar and stir into the vegetables. Cook until the mixture thickens. Pour into hot, sterilised jars. Seal when cold.