Spiced baked eggs
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Michael Craig
Brunch should be relaxing for the cook. A big tray of baked eggs can go into the oven and straight on the table. To make things easier, you can make the base mixture ahead - just ensure you heat it before adding the eggs to help them cook.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the oil to a medium heat, and add the onion. Saute for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic, capsicum, chilli and chorizo. Increase the heat slightly and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the lentils. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Take a medium-sized oven dish and carefully transfer the mixture into it.
- Make six indents in the mixture for each egg. Crack each egg into a small dish, then slide it in to the indent.
- Put tray in the oven, and cook for about 20 minutes, until eggs are cooked. Keep a close eye on them, and cook them soft or hard according to your preference.
- Before serving, garnish with the fresh herbs. Serve with thick natural or Greek yoghurt and warmed pita breads, or toast.