Cider-braised free range chicken
( SERVES 4 )
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Put the onions in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes then peel.
- Put the chicken in a roasting dish. Arrange the onions and garlic around the bird.
- Add the bay leaves, stock and cider.
- Season and cover, then put in the oven.
- Every 20 minutes glaze the bird with the cooking liquid then after 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue cooking for another hour, continuing to glaze every 20 minutes.
To serve: carve the chicken, divide the onions evenly and spoon over the juices.