Raspberry pancakes with zabaglione ice cream
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Fiona Andersen
Christmas is what you want to make it and Bevan Smith likes to make it breakfast.
|1 tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
|1 pinch||Sea salt|
|⅓ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|1 serving||Unsalted butter|
- Whisk egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla together. Add dry ingredients and mix with a whisk to a thick, smooth batter.
- In a clean stainless steel bowl, whisk egg whites to a firm peak. Gently fold whites into batter using a whisk, until just combined.
- Heat two non-stick frying pans over a medium heat and grease with a little unsalted butter. Ladle 3 pancakes into each pan and after 1 minute carefully sprinkle a few raspberries on each.
- Wait until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancakes and gently flip with a spatula. Cook lightly for a further minute then remove, wipe pans clean with kitchen paper and cook the next batch.
- Serve immediately with zabaglione ice cream and remaining raspberries.
Zabaglione ice cream
- Place cream and half of the caster sugar into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar until light and pale.
- As the cream comes to the boil, whisk into the egg and sugar mixture and combine well.
- Return ice cream base back to the saucepan and heat to 80C, stirring continuously. (Use a heatproof thermometer to test the temperature.) Remove from heat and chill down over a bowl of ice.
- Once completely cool add Marsala or Bristol Cream sherry and churn in an ice cream machine as per manufacturer’s instructions.
Cheat's ice cream
If you don’t have an ice cream machine or are short of time, simply take some good quality vanilla icecream out of the freezer, allow it to defrost slightly and mix in the Marsala or sherry. Re-freeze ice cream and you are good to go!
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on 'How to make chocolate shards'