French almond flan
( SERVES 6 )
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|1||Egg, yolk only|
|2 drops||Almond essence|
|½ tsp||Vanilla essence|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 20-23cm flan dish.
- To make the pastry, combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Rub in butter. Press into prepared flan dish. Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Cool.
- To make the filling, cream caster sugar, egg and egg yolk until smooth. Add flours and a little milk to moisten. Mix well.
- Scald remainder of milk and slowly whisk into egg mixture. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until boiling. Cool, then stir in essences. Pour into flan.
- To make the topping, peel and thinly slice kiwifruit. Arrange in circles over filling. Heat jam, lemon juice and water and brush over fruit. Chill.