Cheese soufflé tart
( SERVES 6 )
A soufflé mixture is cooked in a flan.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease a 23cm loose-based flan tin.
- Roll out the pastry to about 5mm thickness. Sprinkle with a 1/3 of the finely grated Pakari cheddar. Gently roll it into the pastry. Line the flan tin with the pastry pushing it lightly against the sides. Do not trim. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the flan with foil, pressing it on lightly. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the foil then continue baking for another 10 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring until thickened. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in a 1/3 of the Pakari cheese and the emmental, until melted. Stir in the egg yolks one at a time. Season.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 2 tablespoons of the egg whites into the sauce. Mix well. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Remove the cooked flan from the oven. Spread the chutney over the base. Cover with the soufflé mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining Pakari.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen, golden and cooked. Cool a little then trim the edges.