Red braised chicken and Asian slaw with a sweet and sour dressing
( SERVES 4 )
|250 ml||Light soy sauce|
|500 ml||Shaoxing wine|
|200 g||Sugar, yellow rock variety|
|4½ cm||Ginger, sliced|
|5||Garlic cloves, sliced|
|3||Cardamom pods, cracked|
|1||Orange, zest of|
|1 tsp||Sichuan peppercorns|
Chicken and sweet and sour dressing
|4||Chicken marylands, free-range, thigh and drum together|
|2 Ltr||Stock, master|
|2 Tbsp||Coriander, finely chopped|
|5 cm||Ginger, sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1||Red chilli, large, finely sliced|
|2½ Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Brown rice vinegar|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
- Place ingredients in a large pot and bring to boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes then remove from heat.
- Allow the stock to cool completely (overnight is ideal) before straining out the aromatics and refrigerating or freezing.
- Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry. Bring master stock to the boil and add chicken. Gently poach for 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and sit for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the chicken from the stock so as not to damage the skin. Cool in fridge. This can be made one day in advance.
Sweet and sour dressing
- Combine all ingredients except peanut oil in a bowl. Heat peanut oil in a small pan until surface shimmers slightly, then carefully pour over ingredients in bowl.
- Stir to combine and set aside.
- Julienne carrot, cucumber, celery and radishes. Place in a bowl with shredded cabbage and spring onions.
- Mix in sesame seeds and place to one side
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Take out chicken from fridge and place in a frying pan or oven tray skin side up. Add 4 Tbsp of water.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes or till crispy. While the chicken is roasting mix through 4 Tbsp of dressing to the asian slaw.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates. Place roasted chicken on top and drizzle with the remaining dressing.