Salmon and spinach pie
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, then cut down the middle into 2 lengthwise pieces. Set aside.
- Wash the spinach carefully to release any dirt, then cook in a small amount of salted water until it wilts.
- Refresh under cold water, then drain and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Chop finely, then add the ricotta, nutmeg, spring onions and herbs. Mix well, then add the egg.
- Roll out half the pastry to fit a medium rectangular pie dish with a loose base, making sure the pastry hangs over the sides.
- Spread half the spinach mixture over the bottom. Place the salmon on top, topping and tailing the pieces so they fit. Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper.
- Carefully spread the rest of the spinach mixture over the salmon. Roll out the remaining pastry.
- Place this on top, sealing the edges of the pastry by brushing with a little of the second beaten egg and pressing together.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg. Place the pie in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight to rest the pastry so it won’t shrink when baked.
- Bake at 200C for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the salmon is cooked.