Turkey breast stuffed with cherries, feta and pinenuts, with glazed carrots
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Tamara West
A double breast is the two breasts taken off the bird as a whole piece. You can also make this recipe with double chicken breast, however cook for less time as they are smaller.
Stuffed turkey breast
|1¼ cups||Panko breadcrumbs|
|¾ cup||Dried cherries, chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Sage, or thyme leaves, finely chopped|
|150 g||Feta, crumbled|
|⅓ cup||Pine nuts, toasted|
|½ cup||Parsley, finely chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Butter, melted|
|2||Turkey breasts, Double, skinless (700-800g each)|
|3 Tbsp||Cherry jam, heated to loosen|
Orange and maple syrup glazed baby carrots
- To make the stuffing, mix breadcrumbs, cherries, sage, feta, pine nuts, parsley, egg and butter together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay double turkey breast flat on a chopping board and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten evenly. Place half of the stuffing, rolled into a log shape, down the centre of the turkey breast lengthways.
- Roll up turkey breast firmly and tie up with a few pieces of string to secure in place. Repeat with remaining turkey breast. At this stage you can leave the rolled turkey breasts in the fridge until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 200C.
- Season rolled turkey breasts with salt. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Sear turkey rolls to colour, about 1 minute each side. Transfer to an oven tray and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush with cherry jam and return to oven to cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. A food thermometer takes the guess work out of knowing when your turkey is cooked. The minimum internal temperature should be 74C (165F). Set breast aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- While turkey is cooking, make the glazed carrots. Cook carrots in boiling salted water until just tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Boil orange juice, chicken stock and maple syrup together until reduced to a syrup, about 12 minutes, whisk in butter, keeping on the heat for a further 1-2 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, slice turkey roll thickly on a bit of an angle. Drain carrots and toss with orange glaze, parsley and season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide between plates. Serve with baby potatoes.