Chicken thighs with bulghur wheat salad in pita bread
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
If it's a balmy evening, take this one outdoors to the barbecue. The chicken thighs can be be cooked on the barbecue grill. Warm the pita bread over the grill also.
|6||Boneless chicken thighs, or 8 skinless|
|1½ tsp||Ground cumin, or 2tsp|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|4 to serve||Pita breads|
Bulghur Wheat Salad
- Place the chicken thighs in a shallow dish and rub with the cumin, garlic and oil.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and set aside while you make the salad and sauce.
- Tip: If you leave the chicken for more than 30 minutes, you will need to refrigerate — remember to bring back to room temperature before pan-frying.
The bulghur wheat salad
- Place the bulghur wheat in a small bowl and cover it with 1cm of cold water and leave to soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, toast the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in a frying pan over a medium heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Cool seeds then grind in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Failing that, use the end of your rolling pin to crush the seeds.
- Place the onion, ground spices and salt in a large bowl and set aside while the bulghur wheat is soaking.
- Drain the bulghur wheat in a sieve to remove any excess water.
- Add to the onion mixture with the cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, lemon and oil and toss well, adjusting the seasoning if necessary.
Mix together all the ingredients and season.