( MAKES 16-20 pieces )
These brownies are fudgy and delicious, swirled with big dollops of Nutella to make them even more decadent. The brown sugar in these gives them a deep rich flavour without being too sweet and using a dark cocoa powder gives them an intense colour and flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and line a large (10in/25cm) rectangular or square baking pan.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl and microwave it in short bursts (around 30 seconds) until the butter is completely melted.
- Add the sugars straight away and whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing after each addition until all are combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage otherwise your brownies will be cakey instead of fudgy and delicious!
- Melt the Nutella in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave (shouldn't take more than 30 seconds), then add half to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, salt and cocoa powder to the chocolate mixture and fold into the chocolate until just only streaks of flour are just visible, using a rubber spatula (not a whisk).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Take the remaining Nutella and, using a teaspoon, spoon splodges (no other word for it!) all over the brownie, making sure to splodge right near the edges too. Once all the Nutella is on top, take either the spoon handle or a toothpick and swirl the Nutella all around so that is more evenly covers the whole top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the brownies comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Let the brownie cool completely, then lift out of the pan using the baking paper. Cut into squares and serve.
- The brownies will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.