Four Bites: classic homemade dressings
A basic vinaigrette to serve with any fresh salad, it also makes for a quick marinade. To a medium screw top jar add:
- ½ cup olive oil (or other quality oil)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅛ cup grapefruit (or orange) juice
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp each of garlic, onion and mustard powders
- ½ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Seal, shake well to combine, then rest for flavours to combine. Will store in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. To serve, bring to room temperature and shake.
Russian island dressing
A piquant, spicy and sweet combination of thousand island and Russian dressings. Great on burgers, sandwiches, as a dipping sauce for fried goodies, smothered over wedges of iceberg lettuce and fresh salads. Blitz in a food processor or blender:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped pickles
- 1 Tbsp each of the pickle juice, ketchup, horseradish and a mild chilli sauce such as sriracha
- 1 tsp hot sauce,
- ½tsp Worcestershire
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- The zest and juice of ½ lemon.
Bottle and refrigerate. Keeps 3-4 weeks.
Green goddess dressing
This heavenly herby sauce originates from the 1920s San Francisco Palace Hotel and is great on everything! Adjust the flavour profile using your favourite fresh herbs and add a little soft goat's cheese for added richness.
Blitz in a food processor or blender until smooth:
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1-2 Tbsp soft goat's cheese (optional)
- 1 packed cup fresh herbs (parsley, chives, dill and tarragon)
- 1 Tbsp tarragon vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- The zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 3-5 anchovy fillets
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Bottle in a medium-sized jar and refrigerate. Keeps 1-2 weeks.
Lemon yellow dressing
A pretty, punchy dressing for roast spuds or veges, fresh asparagus, spring greens and fish. It also makes a great meat marinade. Try adding sriracha, more crushed garlic and grated ginger then smother chicken wings overnight, and roast in a hot oven until sticky and falling off the bone. To a blender add:
- ½ a lemon cut into small chunks (skin, pips and all)
- ⅓ cup olive oil,⅓ cup grapefruit juice
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- A little freshly ground black pepper.
Blitz into a smooth, emulsified dressing. Bottle, refrigerate and shake well to serve. Keeps 2-3 weeks. Makes 1 medium sized jar.