Double-cooked sticky pork belly
- Place the pork in a glass bowl. Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry and pineapple juice and pour over the pork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and marinade to a medium-sized saucepan and add the water and star anise. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and gently simmer until the pork is tender, up to 2 hours. When the pork is very tender, remove from the heat. Strain and reserve the liquid to make a sauce.
- Coat the pork lightly with cornflour. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 170C. Add the pork and fry until golden brown - when the pork hits the deep fryer, be careful as it will spit and splutter at you.
- Place the reserved liquid in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a thick consistency, then add the sesame oil. Add the crispy pork pieces and combine.
- Serve topped with spring onions and in lettuce leaves as pictured.