Double cooked sticky pork belly
- Place the pork in a glass bowl.
- Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry and pineapple juice and pour over the pork.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and marinade to a medium-sized saucepan and add the water and star anise.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and gently simmer until the pork is tender, up to 2 hours.
- When the pork is very tender, remove from the heat.
- Strain and reserve the liquid to make a sauce.
- Coat the pork lightly with cornflour. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 170 degC.
- Add the pork and fry until golden brown.
- Place the reserved liquid in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a thick consistency, then add the sesame oil.
- Add the crispy pork pieces and combine.
- Serve topped with spring onions and in lettuce leaves as pictured.
Top tip: When the pork hits the deep fryer, be careful as it will spit and splutter at you.