Marinated fish salad with soba noodles, orange and asparagus
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
|½ cup||White wine vinegar, or white balsamic|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 Tbsp||Ground cumin|
|1 Tbsp||Oregano, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|500 g||Gurnard, fillets|
|300 g||Asparagus spears|
|200 g||Soba noodles|
|1 to fry||Oil|
|½ cup||Flour, to dust the fish|
- Make a marinade by whisking the vinegar, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Cut the fish into neat chunks and add to the marinade, turning well to coat.
- Stand the bowl for an hour or refrigerate for several hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain.
- Cut the asparagus into neat lengths and blanch in boiling salted water for 3 minutes.
- Drain and cover with ice-cold water until needed.
- Cut some thin julienne strips from the orange skin and blanch for a minute.
- Peel the orange with a knife and cut the segments out neatly.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
- When ready to serve, heat the oil in a shallow frying pan, and toss the drained fish in a little flour.
- Fry over a medium heat until the edges are crisp.
- To assemble the salad, put the noodles onto a serving platter.
- Toss with the asparagus and orange segments and rind.
- Finally, add the warm fish and pour over the dressing.
- Decorate with fresh herbs or microgreens and serve immediately.