Whole lime and tamarind roasted snapper
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This whole-fish dish not only looks impressive, it's delicious and really easy to prepare.
|1 Tbsp||Tamarind concentrate|
|3 cloves||Garlic, (peeled)|
|2 cm||Ginger, (peeled)|
|1||Bird's eye chilli|
|3 tsp||Palm sugar, (grated)|
|2||Limes, (thinly sliced)|
|1 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1½ kgs||Snapper fillets|
|2||Kaffir lime leaves|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh dill|
|1 Tbsp||Vietnamese mint leaves|
|2||Red banana chillies, (sliced)|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a food processor put the tamarind, ginger, garlic, shallot, sugar, chilli, lime leaves and fish sauce and process until a coarse paste is created.
- Cut three deep slits on each side of the fish and massage the paste into each.
- Put the lime slices and some of the fresh herbs into the cavity, reserving some herbs for garnishing.
- Roast for 30 minutes then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Scatter with herbs and chilli, then serve with extra limes and rice.