The name wonton means swallowing a cloud and poached wontons are thought to resemble clouds.
|20||Wonton wrappers, 9cm|
|2 tsp||Soy sauce|
|250 g||Pork mince, lean, or chicken|
|2 tsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|1 Tbsp||Spring onion, finely chopped (green part)|
- Thaw the wonton wrappers, if frozen.
- Combine mince with the soy sauce, root ginger, salt and spring onion.
- To assemble the wontons, place a teaspoon of filling in the centre of each wrapper.
- Draw up the wonton edges and twist to seal. The final result should resemble a money bag or drawstring purse.
- To cook, place the boiling stock and seasonings in a large saucepan.
- Cook the wontons in two batches for 4-5 minutes each batch.
- Lift out with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl with a little of the stock. Keep warm.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all the ingredients with 1 cup of poaching liquid and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the wontons in small bowls. Spoon a little sauce over the top.