Matang-Caramelised Sweet Potato
- Peel the kumara and cut into angled 3cm chunks by rolling the kumara as you cut it.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep saucepan.
- Slowly add the kumara. Fry until golden on all sides.
- The kumara should be crisp on the outside and soft in the centre.
- You may need to reduce the heat as it cooks to prevent it burning.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the kumara to a paper towel to drain.
- Place 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan.
- Swirl it around to cover the base. Heat gently. Pour in the sugar. Do not stir.
- Place over low heat until the sugar begins to melt.
- Move the pan around so the sugar caramelises evenly.
- Once golden, add the kumara. Turn the pieces until coated with the toffee.
- Lift out onto a sheet of baking paper.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy while hot.