Seared asparagus, chicken and brown rice salad
( SERVES 4 )
Add a sprinkle of toasted almonds and the goodness of brown rice and you have the perfect lunch. Barbecue the chicken and asparagus for a rustic summer salad.
|2 bunches||Asparagus, trimmed|
|1 cup||Brown rice|
|500 g||Chicken breasts, or fillets, sliced|
|1||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|1||Fresh thyme, chopped|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1 Tbsp||Liquid honey|
|¼ cup||Lemon juice|
|½ cup||Dried apricots, sliced|
|¼ cup||Toasted almonds, sliced|
|2 handfuls||Baby spinach, mesclun or rocket|
- Cook the rice according to packet directions, drain and allow to cool.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for a few minutes then drain, toss with a tbsp of oil and sear in a heated pan until tender.
- Combine the chicken strips with 2 tbsp of the oil, a sprinkle of the herbs and season well.
- Reheat the grill pan and sear the chicken strips for about 4-5 minutes each side until golden and cooked through, then set aside.
- Combine remaining oil, mustard, honey and lemon juice in a jar and shake well.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice, green leaves, apricots and almonds, with the remaining herbs, asparagus and chicken and toss with dressing.