Nut crackers (gluten-free)
Photo by Tamara West
|300 g||Mixed nuts|
|3||Eggs, 2 for crackers and 1 whisked for egg wash|
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Flaky sea salt|
|1 Tbsp||Chopped thyme, finely chopped|
|½ tsp||Five spice, use powdered version|
|1||Whole nutmeg, use a good grating|
|3 Tbsp||Cornmeal flour, or use rice flour|
|1 sprinkle||Sesame seeds|
|1 sprinkle||Poppy seeds|
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Blitz mixed nuts (I used almonds, brazils, cashews and hazelnuts) in the food processor until finely ground.
- Beat eggs with caster sugar and sea salt until pale and thick. Mix in the finely chopped thyme, five spice powder and a good grating of fresh nutmeg.
- Fold in the nuts and cornmeal flour (or rice flour) to form a dough. Flatten, cover and rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Flour the pastry well and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper. Cut into desired cracker shapes and place on a baking sheet. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
More of Warren’s nut recipes