Steak with whisky mushroom sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Bring the steaks to room temperature well before cooking and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy frying pan, then add the oil. Once it starts smoking, add the steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove them to a plate and cover with foil.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, stirring to lift any meat residue off the bottom of the pan. Toss them around for a minute or two, then add the mushrooms and thyme.
- Once the mushrooms soften, add the whisky. The alcohol may ignite and flare up, but it will quickly subside.
- Add the stock and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken. Finally, stir in the cream, then return the steaks to the pan and cook for another minute.
- Serve on heated plates, spooning sauce over each steak. Accompany with steamed baby carrots and snow peas and a few sprigs of chervil.