Braised beef brisket
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Thinkstock
- With a sharp knife, cut some slits in the meat and push slivered garlic into these slits
- Place the meat in a freezer bag and add the crushed garlic, onions and vinegar.
- Seal the bag, swish the marinade around until it coats the meat. Leave in the fridge overnight.
- To cook: remove the brisket from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels
- Discard the marinade. Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Heat the oil in a solid frying pan and seal one side of the brisket until brown, then turn and brown the other.
- Remove the meat to a platter and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook till just brown then add half the coffee.
- Bring to the boil, scraping up all the pan bits into the liquid.
- Transfer the mix into a roasting dish and set the browned brisket on top.
- Season well with salt and pepper, add the remaining coffee and the water. Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce the heat to 120 degC and cook for a further three hours until the meat is very tender.
- To serve: Carefully slice the meat across the grain and return it to the sauce to coat all the pieces.
- You can refrigerate the dish and reheat by covering with foil and cooking in a medium oven until it has has warmed through.