Mocha mousse with sichuan peppercorns
Photo by Thinkstock
Sichuan pepper is an intriguing spice and is one of the components of Chinese five-spice powder.
- Grind the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder until powdered.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream, coffee and pepper to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit for at least half an hour so that the flavours can steep through the cream.
- Strain the cream through a fine sieve.
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl and stir in the cream. Allow to cool.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar till stiff, then gently fold into the chocolate mix.
- Divide the mousse mix into glasses or small bowls and chill for two hours.
- You could garnish with some whipped cream.