Teriyaki Beef Lettuce Cups
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
|3 cloves||Minced garlic|
|500 g||Beef steaks, (sirloin, scotch fillet or rump)|
|1 Tbsp||Oil, or 2, (peanut, canola, soy)|
|3 Tbsp||Soy sauce, or 4|
|1 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce|
- Trim beef steaks of excess fat, then finely dice the meat.
- Combine with garlic, ginger and 2 Tbsp of the soy sauce in a bowl and leave to marinate at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix remaining soy sauce, sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce together and set aside.
- Wash the baby cos well, then discard the outer leaves and cut 3cm off the bottom stem.
- Tease the leaves apart to separate them and set aside on a platter.
- Thinly slice spring onions, chop coriander and finely chop chilli.
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan on high heat.
- Stir-fry beef quickly until browned (1-2 minutes),
- Then add soy sauce mixture and allow it to bubble away for 1-2 minutes while you toss the beef to coat in the sticky sauce.
- To assemble, place a spoonful of teriyaki beef in each lettuce leaf and arrange on a platter.
- Garnish with spring onion, coriander and chilli.
- Serve immediately and use your hands to eat.