Roast side of salmon with ruby grapefruit miso and spring salad
( SERVES 4 )
|1||Boneless salmon fillet, whole, skinned ( i use Ora King)|
|¾ cup||Moro-miso, sweet white|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1||Pink grapefruit, ruby|
|1||Lemon, juice only|
- Combine the white miso, soy, mirin and sake in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate the three ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Remove all of the skin and pith from the grapefruit and cut out the segments.
- Squeeze the remaining juice from the grapefruit and the lemon juice over the miso paste and whisk together. Once it has formed a smooth wet paste, add in the grapefruit segments.
- Place the salmon fillet with the skinned side down on a tray and liberally spoon the marinade over the fillet. Cover and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Split the cucumber in half lengthways and spoon out and discard the seeds.
- Slice the cucumber into bite-sized chunks. Cover and toss with the sea salt and allow to stand for about 10 minutes.
- The salt will pull out the water from the cucumber and soften it. Wash off the salt with cold running water.
- Pour the sushi vinegar over the softened cucumber, add the radish, cabbage, tomato, carrot, beetroot, black sesame seeds, diced red chilli and mint.
- Insert large skewers into the marinated salmon and try to keep some of the grapefruit segments on the top of the fillet.
- Roast the salmon over the open charcoal for about 12 minutes until the miso has caramelised and the salmon has almost cooked through.
- Serve with the fresh spring salad.