Japanese salad of zucchini and carrot with salmon sashimi
( SERVES 4 )
An interesting, fresh combination. To make it even easier, some of the elements are available already prepared, such as the salmon sashimi, which can be bought cut on trays.
|2 Tbsp||Rice wine vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Soft brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Wakame seaweed, chopped|
|¼ cup||Toasted sesame oil|
- For the dressing: In a small saucepan, stir together the sake, mirin, vinegar and soy and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Stir through the wakame, then leave to cool.
- Stir in the sesame oil.
- For the salad: Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots and zucchini into thin ribbons.
- Literally drop in and out of lightly salted boiling water to allow ribbons to soften slightly.
- Refresh under cold water and leave to drain well on kitchen paper. Or you can soften the zucchini ribbons by tossing in a little of the dressing for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the salmon, tomatoes, basil leaves and vegetable ribbons on a large platter and drizzle with a little dressing.
- Serve the remaining dressing in a small bowl.