Japanese salad of zucchini and carrot with salmon sashimi
An interesting, fresh combination. To make it even easier, some of the elements are available already prepared, such as the salmon sashimi, which can be bought cut on trays.
|2 Tbsp||Rice wine vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Soft brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Wakame seaweed, chopped|
|¼ cup||Toasted sesame oil|
- For the dressing: In a small saucepan, stir together the sake, mirin, vinegar and soy and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Stir through the wakame, then leave to cool.
- Stir in the sesame oil.
- For the salad: Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots and zucchini into thin ribbons.
- Literally drop in and out of lightly salted boiling water to allow ribbons to soften slightly.
- Refresh under cold water and leave to drain well on kitchen paper. Or you can soften the zucchini ribbons by tossing in a little of the dressing for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the salmon, tomatoes, basil leaves and vegetable ribbons on a large platter and drizzle with a little dressing.
- Serve the remaining dressing in a small bowl.