Little Asparagus Tart
( SERVES 4 )
- Set the oven to 200 degC.
- Lightly oil a 20cm tart pan.
- Gently press thawed pastry into the tart pan and trim. Line with foil.
- Bake pastry for 15 minutes with baking beans or rice to keep it flat.
- Remove beans and foil and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, trim asparagus spears and cut into 7cm lengths from the tip.
- Chop remaining stems finely. Cover with boiling water in a bowl.
- Stand for 1 minute then drain and pat dry. Saute bacon in the oil until crisp.
- Add shallots and saute, until softened. Do not brown.
- Beat the eggs and seasonings.
- Place bacon and shallots in the cooked pastry shell.
- Add asparagus pieces then place spears on top like the spokes of a wheel. Slowly pour in eggs.
- Bake at 180 degC for about 30 minutes, until set.
- Serves 3 as a light meal with salad or 2 as a main.
Tip: To prepare asparagus for cooking, first remove any tough white ends. Bend the spears, one at a time, until they break at a natural point. Alternatively, trim with a knife. Remove any tough scales with a vegetable peeler.