Brie and risotto balls
( MAKES About 20 )
These are a little bit fussy to make, but worth every melting brie mouthful. Try different cheeses in the centre, such as mushroom risotto with blue cheese. This is good for using up last night’s leftovers, and can be made into bigger patties for an entrée. They can also be done in advance and chilled, then fried at serving time.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes over a gentle heat until softened, but not coloured. Add rice and cook for 1 minute. Coat the grains in the oil.
- Dissolve stock in the hot water, add 1 cup stock to the pan and stir until nearly absorbed. Then add remaining water and cook over a low heat until rice is soft and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir through half the diced cheese. Season to taste and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Take a large teaspoon of risotto in the palm of your hand and flatten slightly. Then place a small piece of the diced brie in the centre and wrap the risotto around it to create a ball. Chill while making up rest of mixture.
- Coat balls in beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Chill until ready to cook.
- When ready, add enough oil to a medium saucepan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Cook the balls for 3-4 minutes until heated through (you may have to sacrifice the first one to check they are heated and the brie in the centre is liquid).
- Serve with seasoned salt and fresh herbs.