( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This simple and oh-so-cute strawberry tart will bring the taste of summer to any occasion.
|200 g||Sweet shortcrust pastry|
- Heat an oven to 180C.
- Line a 22cm tart tin with pastry and bake blind for 15 minutes, or until cooked but not browned.
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Add the cornflour and mix through.
- In a pot, heat the milk until it reaches boiling point, then slowly add to the egg mixture beating until all combined. Place it back into a clean pot.
- Heat the custard, stirring continuously until it reaches boiling point and starts to thicken, about 5-7 minutes.
- You may think it is starting to curdle, but just stir vigorously.
- Remove from the heat, stir through the butter and strain into a bowl to cool.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over it to stop a skin forming.
- When cold, spoon the custard into your pastry case.
- Arrange strawberries on top. Melt jam and brush the top of the tart.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat, then serve with cream.